Can guinea pigs eat kiwi skin? Yes, they can. But, there are limitations, so you should know what these are. Well, guinea pigs are furry and tailless rodents that will brighten up your day. They are playful and energetic, which will take away your stress after a busy and long day.
That is why you have to make sure that you feed them with the right food every time so that you can be assured when it comes to their health. It is not only the vegetables in which they can get enough vitamins and minerals. With fruits, they can have equal or even more benefits, which will help their growth day by day. (please read here how big do Guinea pig grow)
Kiwis are one of the best fruit that you should consider, and for you to answer the question “can guinea pigs have kiwi skin” in detail, continue reading!
What Is Kiwi?
Kiwi is a fruit in which also called as Chinese gooseberry and is originally growing in the wild of China. They are super-rich in nutrients and low in calories. They are about the size of a hen’s egg, but its minerals are significant.
Can guinea pigs eat kiwi skin? Guinea pigs can eat kiwi as a fruit, but the skin should be removed. It is mostly and highly recommended that you not feed the skin, which only means you have to peel the fruit.
The furry and the hairy layer of the fruit are not tasty nor unsuitable for a fragile stomach of your cavy. The green flesh of the fruit is delicious and safe for your guinea pig to consume.
Some guinea pig owners will dare to feed the skin, but you have to keep in mind that there is a choking risk. The skin of the kiwi is slimy in texture, but it will always be up to you if you still want to feed the skin to your pet.
If you decide to still feed them and for a fiber-wise move, it is good to provide them with skin because it is truly rich in fiber. You can let your pet eat the furry coat, but you also have to thoroughly wash the fruit. Especially if the fruits are not organic, some chemicals may harm your guinea pig.
How Often Can You Feed Kiwi To Guinea Pigs?
Guinea pigs can eat kiwi and mixed with any other fruits, but you should feed them very seldom. Due to the sugar content, you have to give them minimal amounts.
To be more specific, you may add kiwi to your pet’s planned meal for just two to three times a week. By that, you can be assured that you are moderately giving them enough nutrients is not an excessive way.
Health Benefits Of Kiwi To Guinea Pigs
Kiwi fruit is genuinely full of health benefits that will make you include it in your pet cavy diet. In this part of the article, we will discuss some of the health benefits you can be very advantageous.
· Kiwi is a fruit that has low fat and also low in calories. That is why this fruit is good for weight loss. If your pet loves to chew kiwi, you won’t have to worry about being overweight or attaining the obesity level. (please read here how much do Guinea pig weigh)
· The antioxidants that are present in the kiwi are truly good for a stable immune system.
· With protein and the carbs, it will surely give enough energy to your guinea pig. By that, they can become playful all day.
· The kiwi fruit is an excellent Vitamin C source because guinea pigs cannot produce this mineral independently.
· It enhances the eyesight and will make the skin of your pet healthier than ever.
· It is also useful in relieving pains and aches whenever they got hurt or injured.
· Your pet’s cardiovascular system will work correctly, so you are rest assured that they won’t acquire diseases easily.
· Kiwi is suitable for a proper bowel movement, especially if your pet is suffering from constipation.
· With a low amount of fat and no cholesterol, your pet’s whole system will do its job correctly. The Vitamin K present in the fruit will ensure less blood loss if an injury happens in the future. The healthy blood clotting won’t let too much blood to flow out.
Risks Of Giving Kiwi Skin To Guinea Pigs
It is good that there are many health benefits in which the kiwi can provide your pet. But, there are also risks in feeding them with large amounts. That is why you have to be mindful of this part of the article to be aware. By doing so, you can have the ease of mind and won’t put your pet’s health in danger.
· Urinary problems
There is a substantial amount of calcium that is present on the kiwi fruit. Because of this fact, you have to take note that a significant amount of this nutrient is not suitable for your guinea pig. With too much calcium accumulated or accumulated, it will deposit in the urinary tract of your pet.
Indeed, it will cause them to have a hard time during their urination. There will be a pain, and it will significantly affect the health of your cute and furry rodent.
· Bad digestion
Fiber is present in the kiwi that we talked about earlier. We also discussed that it is good for the health of your pet. But, anything that is too much is not good. So, excessive fiber can cause your pet to have an upset stomach that can cause loose stool and make your pet’s tummy in pain. (please read here why do Guinea pig cry)
Additionally, a sugar that is also present on the fruit when given in large amounts can cause stomach problems. The guinea pigs cannot digest sugar properly, and as a guinea pig owner, you have to be knowledgeable of this matter. Indeed, no one wants that our pet will be in much discomfort, so we better be keen always.
We genuinely hope you are now in much knowledge about kiwis when you reach this part of the article and if guinea pigs can eat kiwi skin. Like any veggies and fruits that you feed on your pet, you have to make sure that it gets all kinds of nutrients in every meal. A balanced diet is the best that you can offer your pet.
The best way to give to them is that all of the foods must be moderated and not excessive. Can guinea pigs eat kiwi skin? Kiwis are full of benefits, but these fruits can only be shown in just two to three times a week.
By that, you can be confident about your pet’s health, and you are sure that they truly get the right amount of minerals.