All dogs shed some hair at a point. Whether you have a long-haired dog or a short-haired one, you will have to cope with this process. There is nothing terrible about it because it’s a natural process for dogs. But it’s essential to handle this process well.
It may be somehow embarrassing when you have a visitor, and your home is littered with dog hair. That is one of the reasons why many dog owners take deshedding seriously. There are different de-shedding tools you can use to properly remove hair from your pet. The tips below will provide enough information on how to deshed a short-haired dog effectively.
Deshedding using a metal comb
You can make use of a furminator tool like FURminator Finishing Dog Comb for this purpose. The teeth should be very narrow to be able to reach deeply into the coat. The comb will do an excellent job when you follow the deshedding instruction correctly. Follow this step to use a deshedding comb on your short-haired dog.
This deshedding process can have the hair littered everywhere after completing the process. So, you need to clean up thoroughly afterward.
The 4 Bs method
This method is ideal for either a long-haired dog or a short-haired dog.
It’s an easy solution that will significantly lessen the dog hair for a few days. Here is the process:
· Remove tangles and loose hair by brushing the coat
· Wash out missed hair by bathing the dog
· In a sweeping motion, blow the hair dry
· Then brush the second time to remove lingering strands
Deshedding with a bristle brush
Although bristle brush is not designed for deshedding dogs, there are some models that are intended for this purpose.
FURminator Grooming Slicker Brush and Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush are good examples of bristle brushes you can use for deshedding short-haired dogs. Bristle brush untangles and de-sheds your dog in a smooth and slow process. They are easy to use too. Just use them softly like a comb on the coat. It will take some of the loose hairs out. But this bristle brush may not do a very active job like a force dryer.
To use a bristle brush, you can follow these steps:
- Condition the dog’s hair with a good shampoo like the ones we mentioned above.
- Brush the hair as you gently remove the loose hair from the coat.
- Clean and dry the dog after the process
Deshedding with a force dryer
If you want to know how to deshed a short hair dog using the right tool, a blower seems to be the most effective. It does a thorough job. In fact, this is the most preferred tool for many groomers because of its effectiveness. The vacuum for deshedding produces a great result. It does not only remove loose hair. The blow dryer also dries the hair, which is right after shampooing. Also, dogs tend to stay calm when it’s used on them because they enjoy the feeling.
However, it’s more expensive than other options. Another problem is the lot of mess it creates. Hairs tend to get littered everywhere when using this method. You need to stay in a secluded area when deshedding your dog using a force dryer. It will help when cleaning the place. In this case, your backyard or garage will do. Also, you should wear overalls and goggles to protect yourself from being covered in hair.
There are different brands of force dryers in the market you can get for your dog. K-9 III Dog Grooming Dryer is a good example that is effective for de-shedding.
You can take the following steps to deshed your dog using a blow dryer
- Shampoo the dog. Here, make use of enough soap to clean thoroughly. Wash the dog’s coat and clean it properly.
- Detangle the hair by working through the coat down to your dog’s skin. Clean properly to prevent any form of irritation on the skin.
- Try to keep your dog calm and relaxed by holding him still. Then place a lead on the collar of your dog.
- Turn on the dryer and move it over the entire coat. Make sure you keep the nozzle close to the hairs by holding it close to the mouth.
Generally, it takes about 30 minutes to do a thorough deshedding job when using a force dryer. So, you have to stay patient. In the end, you will love the result.
These methods on how to deshed a short-haired dog are simple to execute. They also do not require much investment in the tool, except when you are buying a force dryer.